First Aid Kit
- Novalsan, Betadine: to disinfect wash water, can be used directly on wounds
- Gauze Sponges: use in cleaning injury
- Antibiotic Cream (Furacin): wounds, it's a broad spectrum antibiotic cream
- Zinc Oxide: saddle sores, sun burn, rope burns, is water proof, offers more protection than furacin, but more limited antibiotic properties
- Telfa Pad: after cleaning, place directly over injury
- Bandage Padding/Kotex: place over telfa for padding and support or use with pressure to stop bleeding
- Brown roll gauze: wrap over bandage padding to hold pads in place
- Vetrap: wrap over brown gauze to support bandage.
- Opthalmic Ointment: antibiotic ointment for eye injuries
First Aid Guide for a few problems:
- Cuts and Laceration; Follow steps above
- Eye Injuries; Flood with water if foreign body is in eye. May need to remove it with gauze or cotton swab. Put ointment in eye. Cover eye if needed, with telfa or gauze and tape.
- Heat Exhaustion: Signs are usually weakness, muscles tremors and collapse. Apply cool water to body and move to cool shaded area. Offer water to drink. Paste with electrolytes.
- Rope Burns: Wash with disinfectant soap and apply zinc oxide or Furacin
- Saddle Sores: Wash with disinfectant soap and apply zinc oxide or Furacin
- Sprains and Tendonitis: Rest. Apply cold water or Cold pack to reduce swelling. Give 1-2 grams of bute.
- Tying-up: Keep warm, rest, 1-2 grams of bute, do NOT walk
Normal Temp ranges from 99.5-101
Respiration, resting 12-18 breaths/minute, 24-36 working. Count by deep inspirations in the flank.
Pulse, resting 30-40 beats/minute 75-105 working. Pulse can be felt inside the left elbow, up and forward, against the chest wall; 4 inches below the eye on the back edge of the lower jaw; inside of the foreleg; behind the knees; under the tail, close to the body; medial or lateral pastern. (P:R ratio should be 3:1 or 2:1. When P:R ratio decreases at elevated levels, it indicates a stress condition making further exercise totally inadvisable.)
First Aid Kit
Give us a call at 575-773-4633 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know how we can help you.